Jan 26, 2020
Jonathan and Chris speak to Stephan Guyenet, Ph.D., the author of the book The Hungry Brain and the creator of the health book review site Red Pen Reviews, about hunger, obesity, and the highs and lows of debating a journalist on one of the biggest platforms on the Internet.
2:00 How evolution shaped our brain
9:00 The disconnect between hunger and energy needs
15:12 The stressed-out brain of an obese mouse
18:54 Weight loss drugs targeting the brain
21:50 It’s a thermostat… but not really
28:00 Stress and obesity
29:44 Debating journalist Gary Taubes on The Joe Rogan Experience
36:14 False balance on massive platforms
39:32 Rhetoric and the unstructured debate
44:42 Stephan’s eating habits
47:54 Informative reviews of health and nutrition books
51:40 Rewards: food, sex and gold
* Theme music: "Troll of the Mountain Swing" by the Underscore Orkestra.
To contribute to The Body of Evidence, go to our Patreon page at: http://www.patreon.com/thebodyofevidence/.
Patrons get a bonus show on Patreon called “Digressions”! Check it out!
1) Stephan’s book, The Hungry Brain: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29243729-the-hungry-brain
2) Stephan’s website: https://www.stephanguyenet.com/
3) Stephan Guyenet on Twitter: https://twitter.com/whsource
4) Red Pen Reviews: https://www.redpenreviews.org/
5) Stephan on the Joe Rogan Experience: https://youtu.be/vA3QavPp1Ho