Mar 9, 2021
UTIs: sex differences / antibiotics / self-diagnosis / cranberry juice / probiotics / D-mannose / drinking water / peeing after sex / contraception / topical estrogen. iPhone 12’s effect on pacemakers and implanted defibrillators. COVID-19 vaccines: Johnson & Johnson’s / AstraZeneca’s / variants / scams.
* Jingle by Joseph Hackl
* Theme music: “Fall of the Ocean Queen“ by Joseph Hackl.
* Assistant researcher: Nicholas Koziris
To contribute to The Body of Evidence, go to our Patreon page at: http://www.patreon.com/thebodyofevidence/.
Patrons get a bonus show on Patreon called “Digressions”! Check it out!
1) Statistics from the American Urological Association: https://www.urologyhealth.org/healthy-living/urologyhealth-extra/magazine-archives/summer-2016/understanding-utis-across-the-lifespan
2) Urinary Tract Infection Syndromes: Occurrence, Recurrence, Bacteriology, Risk Factors, and Disease Burden: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0891552013000743?via%3Dihub
3) Patient-initiated treatment of uncomplicated recurrent urinary tract infections in young women: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11434727/
4) Antibiotic sparing strategy: https://www.bmj.com/content/351/bmj.h6544
5) Cochrane review on Cranberries for preventing urinary tract infections: https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD001321.pub5
6) Cranberry Extract for Symptoms of Acute, Uncomplicated Urinary Tract Infection: A Systematic Review: https://www.mdpi.com/2079-6382/10/1/12
7) Cochrane review on Probiotics for preventing urinary tract infections in adults and children: https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD008772.pub2/full
8) Systematic review of the literature on D-mannose for recurrent UTIs: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32972899/
9) Fluid intake to prevent recurrent UTIs: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6584323/
10) Prevention and treatment of uncomplicated lower urinary tract infections in the era of increasing antimicrobial resistance-non-antibiotic approaches: a systemic review: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00404-019-05256-z
11) The Role of Asymptomatic Bacteriuria in Young Women With Recurrent Urinary Tract Infections: To Treat or Not to Treat? https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/cis534
12) INESSS Antibiotic Guidelines: https://www.inesss.qc.ca/fileadmin/doc/INESSS/Outils/GUO/Anglo/Guide_InfectionUrinaire_EN_WEB.pdf
Joy And Optimism (loopable) by chilledmusic
Long Road Ahead by Kevin MacLeod