Aug 8, 2021
What does the body of evidence have to say on the topic of ergonomics? Plus: should a maker of vaping products have bought out an entire issue of an academic journal to publish its studies, and we answer questions from our listeners about osteoporosis and COVID contrarians.
Ergonomics: carpal tunnel syndrome and ergonomic keyboards (2:09)
Ergonomics: work breaks, arm supports, workplace interventions, standing desks, and computer glasses (11:27)
The controversy over Juul e-cigarettes and academic publishing (28:42)
Is this paper proof that strontium works for osteoporosis? (41:07)
What’s with MDs and PhDs becoming COVID contrarians? (45:33)
* Jingle by Joseph Hackl
* Theme music: “Fall of the Ocean Queen“ by Joseph Hackl.
* Assistant researcher: Nicholas Koziris
To contribute to The Body of Evidence, go to our Patreon page at: http://www.patreon.com/thebodyofevidence/.
To make a one-time donation to our show, you can now use PayPal! https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=9QZET78JZWCZE
Patrons get a bonus show on Patreon called “Digressions”! Check it out!
1) Cochrane review on ergonomic keyboards for carpal tunnel syndrome: https://www.cochrane.org/CD009600/NEUROMUSC_ergonomic-positioning-or-equipment-for-carpal-tunnel-syndrome
2) Cochrane review on various interventions for reducing neck pain: https://www.cochrane.org/CD008570/OCCHEALTH_ergonomic-interventions-preventing-work-related-musculoskeletal-disorders-upper-limb-and-neck-among
3) Cochrane review on various interventions for reducing neck pain: https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD008570.pub3/full?highlightAbstract=ergonomic%7Cergonom
4) Cochrane review on various interventions for reducing neck pain: https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD012886.pub2/full?highlightAbstract=ergonomic%7Cergonom
5) Cochrane review on ergonomics in dentistry practices: https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD011261.pub2/full?highlightAbstract=ergonomic%7Cergonom
6) Cochrane review on workplace interventions: https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD010912.pub5/full?highlightAbstract=ergonomic%7Cergonom
7) Sydney Morning Herald article on the lack of science in ergonomics: https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/health-and-wellness/a-difficult-position-experts-question-whether-ergonomics-holds-up-20180910-p502w5.html
8) Our previous episodes on vaping: https://bodyofevidence.ca/005-e-cigarettes, https://bodyofevidence.ca/052-baldness-and-vaping, and https://bodyofevidence.ca/056-drinking-water-and-olivier-bernard
9) Philadelphia Inquirer article on the Juul controversy: https://www.inquirer.com/health/juul-pro-vaping-research-seeks-to-influence-fda-regulation-e-cigarettes-20210710.html
10) The paper on strontium for osteoporosis: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5310667/