Feb 7, 2022
What does the body of evidence have to say on the topic of dementia or, to use a more recent term, major cognitive disorder? Plus: what (little) we know about long COVID, and we go over arguments for and against the no-vax tax that was recently debated in Quebec.
(3:04) Dementia: types of memory
(11:53) Dementia: Alzheimer’s, ApoE, vascular dementia, Lewy body disease, frontotemporal dementia, how to screen for and diagnose dementia, treatments, vitamin E, ginkgo, Aduhelm, preventative measures
(32:32) Long COVID: prevalence, symptoms, scientific challenges, hypotheses, vaccination
(49:35) No-vax tax debate
* Jingle by Jillian Correia of Roctavio Canada
* Theme music: “Fall of the Ocean Queen“ by Joseph Hackl.
* Assistant researcher: Nicholas Koziris
To contribute to The Body of Evidence, go to our Patreon page at: http://www.patreon.com/thebodyofevidence/.
To make a one-time donation to our show, you can now use PayPal! https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=9QZET78JZWCZE
Patrons get a bonus show on Patreon called “Digressions”! Check it out!
1) Cochrane review on cholinesterase inhibitors: https://www.cochrane.org/CD001190/DEMENTIA_donepezil-people-dementia-due-alzheimers-disease
2) Cochrane review on memantine: https://www.cochrane.org/CD003154/DEMENTIA_memantine-treatment-dementi
3) Cochrane review on vitamin E: https://www.cochrane.org/CD002854/DEMENTIA_use-vitamin-e-treatment-mild-cognitive-impairment-and-alzheimers-disease-ad
4) Vitamin E and heart failure: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15769967/
5) Vitamin E and mortality: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15537682/
8) Jimmy Fallon and Paris Hilton on NFTs: https://youtu.be/5zi12wrh5So?t=222
9) Impossible MoCA: https://twitter.com/juliareillymd/status/1237531126723252225
10) Jonathan’s article on long COVID: https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/covid-19/debilitating-puzzle-box-long-covid
11) Post-COVID Care Centers: https://www.survivorcorps.com/pccc
12) Public Health Agency of Canada’s living systematic review on long COVID: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.06.03.21258317v2
13) Canadian paper on the experiences of people living with long COVID: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.01.20.22269617v1
14) Long COVID hypotheses: https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmicb.2021.698169/full
Heroic Trailer by Rafael Krux