Dec 6, 2022
What does the body of evidence say on the topic of gun control? Plus: we address why more and more children are accidentally getting poisoned with cannabis, and we wonder if a vaccine against RSV might be around the corner!
Warning: discussions of suicide in the first half. If you need help, please reach out: https://talksuicide.ca/.
(2:42) Gun control: gun deaths, where the data comes from, violent crime vs. suicide
(11:47) Gun control: the Canadian situation, rising rates of gun crimes, accidental gun deaths, research into gun violence, quality of the evidence for specific policies
(26:27) Unintentional cannabis poisonings in children
(36:49) RSV vaccines
* Jingle by Jillian Correia of Roctavio Canada
* Theme music: “Fall of the Ocean Queen“ by Joseph Hackl.
* Assistant researcher: Nicholas Koziris
To contribute to The Body of Evidence, go to our Patreon page at: http://www.patreon.com/thebodyofevidence/.
To make a one-time donation to our show, you can now use PayPal! https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=9QZET78JZWCZE
Patrons get a bonus show on Patreon called “Digressions”! Check it out!
1) Gun violence data from the American Public Health Association: https://www.apha.org/-/media/Files/PDF/factsheets/200221_Gun_Violence_Fact_Sheet.ashx
3) Public health approach to gun violence prevention: https://efsgv.org/learn/learn-more-about-gun-violence/public-health-approach-to-gun-violence-prevention/
4) RAND Corporation, What Science Tells Us About the Effects of Gun Policies: https://www.rand.org/research/gun-policy/key-findings/what-science-tells-us-about-the-effects-of-gun-policies.html
5) RAND Corporation, The Science of Gun Policy: https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RR2088-1.html
6) RAND Corporation, Gun Policy in America: https://www.rand.org/research/gun-policy.html
7) Study on edible cannabis legalization and unintentional poisonings in children: https://doi.org/10.1056/nejmc2207661
1) Our episode on stomach ulcers: https://bodyofevidence.ca/063-stomach-ulcers-and-covid-19
2) Our interview with Brennen McKenzie on pets: https://bodyofevidence.ca/interview-brennen-mckenzie-on-pets