Jan 10, 2023
What does the body of evidence say on the topic of osteoporosis? Plus: we look at a genuinely breakthrough therapy for metastatic melanoma, and Chris lets you in on a troubling “secret” when it comes to travel health insurance! You will also learn what a “dowager’s hump” is and hear Chris sing, and for that we formally apologize.
(2:01) Osteoporosis: what it is; bone cells and how they are assessed
(9:02) Osteoporosis: bone mineral density, T-score and Z-score; can doctors see signs of osteoporosis in the clinic; causes of osteoporosis; treating it: lifestyle changes, supplements, bisphosphonates, and Prolia; screening guidelines
(32:04) Breakthrough therapy for metastatic melanoma: TILs (vs. ipilimumab)
(47:53) Travel insurance caveat
* Theme music: “Fall of the Ocean Queen“ by Joseph Hackl.
* Assistant researcher: Nicholas Koziris
To contribute to The Body of Evidence, go to our Patreon page at: http://www.patreon.com/thebodyofevidence/.
To make a one-time donation to our show, you can now use PayPal! https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=9QZET78JZWCZE
Patrons get a bonus show on Patreon called “Digressions”! Check it out!
1) Estrogen does reduce the risk of hip fracture from osteoporosis: https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.288.3.321
3) Calcium and vitamin D supplementation and the risk of fractures: https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2017.19344
4) Medications can reduce the risk of osteoporotic fractures: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2685995
5) Screening guidelines from the US Preventive Services Task Force: https://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf/recommendation/osteoporosis-screening
6) Results from the phase III clinical trial comparing TILs to ipilumumab in advanced melanoma: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2210233
It’s Not Twitter, But It’ll Do:
1) Jonathan on the Martial Culture Podcast: https://www.stitcher.com/show/the-martial-culture-podcast/episode/combating-pseudoscience-unscientific-thinkings-in-martial-arts-w-jonathan-jarry-209989826
2) Jonathan’s article on the Healy: https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/critical-thinking-pseudoscience/healy-old-woo-new-clothes
3) The Hard Fork Podcast: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/04/podcasts/hard-fork-technology.html
4) The CTV Montreal News website: https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/video?binId=1.1332485
5) The CBC Player: https://www.cbc.ca/player/news
6) The CJAD website: https://www.iheartradio.ca/cjad
7) Odyssey TV: http://odysseytv.ca/
8) Chris on the CBC, interviewed about mpox: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mpox-outbreak-canada-plateau-1.6696842
1) Our episode on childbirth: https://bodyofevidence.ca/042-childbirth-and-crowdfunding-quackery
2) Our interview on conspirituality: https://bodyofevidence.ca/interview-matthew-remski-on-conspirituality
The following music was used for this media project:
Music: 3am Glowsticks by Tim Kulig
Free download: https://filmmusic.io/song/9166-3am-glowsticks
License (CC BY 4.0): https://filmmusic.io/standard-license