Sep 19, 2021
Chris and Jonathan speak to two guests about the slow collapse of the body of evidence on ivermectin for COVID-19, with a particular focus on the oft-cited Elgazzar randomized controlled trial. Their first guest is Jack Lawrence, a Master’s student and disinformation researcher, who took the Elgazzar paper apart, finding evidence of plagiarism and of potential data fraud. Their second guest is Gideon Meyerowitz-Katz, an epidemiologist, who appraised the Elgazzar study, the Carvallo “study,” and many others, and who reveals some of the telltale signs of scientific fraud.
Guest #1: Jack Lawrence
3:06 Jack reads the Elgazzar study
5:55 A plagiarized introduction
7:46 The paper’s claims
11:57 Skimming a paper versus actively looking for fraud
24:45 Deaths didn’t add up
31:23 The Guardian’s coverage
36:10 A broken system
Guest #2: Gid M-K
41:28 Most likely a fraud
46:34 Is this dataset real?
52:41 The Carvallo “study” may never have taken place as described
58:11 IVMMeta.com, an anonymous pseudoscientific website
1:04:16 Churning out bad meta-analyses
1:07:07 Gid’s verdict on ivermectin for COVID-19
1:12:23 Maintaining trust in science in the face of fraud
* Theme music: “Fall of the Ocean Queen“ by Joseph Hackl.
To contribute to The Body of Evidence, go to our Patreon page at: http://www.patreon.com/thebodyofevidence/.
Patrons get a bonus show on Patreon called “Digressions”! Check it out!
1) Jack Lawrence on Twitter: https://twitter.com/JackMLawrence
2) Jack Lawrence’s TimPoolClips account: https://twitter.com/TimPoolClips
3) Jack Lawrence’s blog post on the Elgazzar paper: https://grftr.news/why-was-a-major-study-on-ivermectin-for-covid-19-just-retracted/
4) Gid M-K on Twitter: https://twitter.com/GidMK
5) Gid M-K’s podcast, Sensationalist Science: https://soundcloud.com/senscipod
6) Gid M-K’s first blog post on the ivermectin saga: https://elemental.medium.com/ivermectin-for-covid-19-an-update-5e913bb49483
7) The Elgazzar study: https://www.researchsquare.com/article/rs-100956/v3
8) Nick Brown’s blog post about the Elgazzar study: https://steamtraen.blogspot.com/2021/07/Some-problems-with-the-data-from-a-Covid-study.html
9) The Guardian’s coverage of the Elgazzar study: https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/jul/16/huge-study-supporting-ivermectin-as-covid-treatment-withdrawn-over-ethical-concerns
10) The BuzzFeed investigation into the Carvallo “study”: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/stephaniemlee/ivermectin-covid-study-suspect-data
11) IVMMeta website: https://ivmmeta.com/