Dec 11, 2020
Jonathan talks with Matthew Remski, the co-host of the Conspirituality podcast, on the merger between the worlds of spirituality and of grand conspiracy theories. The COVID-19 pandemic has been accompanied by a rise in people who believe that nothing is as it seems, that everything is connected, and that the world is on the verge of a major awakening. Matthew himself once trusted his intuitive knowledge of his body until it landed him in the hospital.
2:22 What is conspirituality
6:41 The yearning for an awakening
11:00 Intuition as a guide to knowledge
16:50 The red pill… and the black pill
23:45 The X-Files
29:19 JP Sears and COVID-19
38:11 The self vs. the common good
42:00 The false medical claims of yoga
47:20 Manipulative fraud or self-deluded?
52:36 How Matthew talks to conspiritualists
1:00:35 Conspirituality in 2021
* Theme music: “Fall of the Ocean Queen“ by Joseph Hackl.
To contribute to The Body of Evidence, go to our Patreon page at: http://www.patreon.com/thebodyofevidence/.
Patrons get a bonus show on Patreon called “Digressions”! Check it out!
1) Matthew Remski’s Conspirituality podcast: https://conspirituality.net/
2) Matthew Remski’s website: https://matthewremski.com/wordpress/
3) Matthew Remski on Twitter: https://twitter.com/matthewremski
4) The 2011 paper that defined “conspirituality”: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/13537903.2011.539846
5) Jonathan’s article on JP Sears: https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/covid-19-critical-thinking-pseudoscience/clown-prince-wellness
6) Conspirituality podcast episode on BKS Iyengar: https://conspirituality.net/wellness/bonus-yoga-teachers-are-not-doctors-doctors-are-not-priests/
7) Jonathan’s article on Sayer Ji: https://mcgill.ca/oss/article/pseudoscience/popular-health-guru-sayer-ji-curates-scientific-literature-his-bachelors-degree-philosophy
8) Matthew’s article on QAnon in Canada: https://thewalrus.ca/when-qanon-came-to-canada/