Oct 3, 2021
What does the body of evidence have to say on the topic of blood pressure? Plus: what seems to be causing multiple chemical sensitivity, and we come face to face with the difficulty of deciding if an activity is risky or not when you’re fully vaccinated.
Blood pressure: what the numbers mean (2:27)
Blood pressure: should you treat it, what to aim for, how to treat it, how best to measure it (8:56)
Multiple chemical sensitivity, what happens when tests come back negative, and the ethics of prescribing placebos (28:11)
Question about the HPV vaccine and the immune system (45:56)
Wrong numbers in Ottawa Heart Institute study scare people (48:12)
Is this risky? (53:16)
* Jingle by Jillian Correia of Roctavio Canada
* Theme music: “Fall of the Ocean Queen“ by Joseph Hackl.
* Assistant researcher: Nicholas Koziris
To contribute to The Body of Evidence, go to our Patreon page at: http://www.patreon.com/thebodyofevidence/.
To make a one-time donation to our show, you can use PayPal! https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=9QZET78JZWCZE
Patrons get a bonus show on Patreon called “Digressions”! Check it out!
1) John Hay quote: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20776269/
2) Oslo study: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/7001898/
3) MRC study: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/2861880/
4) SPRINT study: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1511939
5) ACCORD study: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1001286
6) STEP trial: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2111437
7) SSaSS study on salt substitute: https://www.nejm.org/doi/10.1056/NEJMoa2105675
8) ALLHAT trial: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/195626
9) ACC/AHA systematic review: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29133355/
10) Jonathan’s article on the INSPQ report on multiple chemical sensitivity: https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/health/zeroing-cause-multiple-chemical-sensitivity
11) The INSPQ report on MCS (French only): https://www.inspq.qc.ca/publications/2729
Fanfare for Space by Kevin MacLeod
Guitar Hero by Alexander Nakarada
Good Ideas For A New Startup by MusicLFiles