Nov 22, 2020
Chris and Jonathan interview Dr. Ivan Oransky, the co-founder of Retraction Watch which tracks retractions of scientific papers. They discuss how papers get published, how they get retracted, and what a better system might look like.
1:29 How scientific papers get published
3:44 Journals are businesses with a bizarre business model
13:52 No more COVID-related retractions than expected
17:10 Science by press release in part to prevent insider trading
20:04 Jade amulets against COVID-19
26:33 Zombie papers
30:43 A dramatic increase in retractions but they are still rare
36:50 Why are mistakes caught after publication?
42:20 Going to science heaven
* Theme music: “Fall of the Ocean Queen“ by Joseph Hackl.
To contribute to The Body of Evidence, go to our Patreon page at: http://www.patreon.com/thebodyofevidence/.
Patrons get a bonus show on Patreon called “Digressions”! Check it out!
1) The Retraction Watch website: https://retractionwatch.com/
2) Retraction Watch on Twitter: https://twitter.com/RetractionWatch
3) Ivan Oransky on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ivanoransky
4) The Retraction Watch newsletter: https://us12.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=4f35c1f2e9acc58eee0811e78&id=a15d7de264
5) Jonathan’s article on the jade amulet: https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/covid-19-critical-thinking-pseudoscience/paper-argues-amulet-may-protect-covid-should-it-have-been-published
6) Retraction Watch’s original article on the jade amulet: https://retractionwatch.com/2020/10/29/amulets-may-prevent-covid-19-says-a-paper-in-elsevier-journal-they-dont/
7) The jade amulet paper’s retraction notice: https://retractionwatch.com/2020/11/16/co-authors-of-paper-on-covid-19-and-jade-amulets-blames-the-online-press-and-social-media-for-misinterpretation-in-retraction-letter/
8) The Surgisphere retractions: https://retractionwatch.com/2020/06/04/lancet-retracts-controversial-hydroxychloroquine-study/