Oct 4, 2020
Breastfeeding: its history, the quality of the evidence for it, and the alleged benefits to the baby and to the mother // Placebos in vaccine trials // Are we overreacting to COVID?
* Jingle by Joseph Hackl
* Theme music: “Fall of the Ocean Queen“ by Joseph Hackl.
To contribute to The Body of Evidence, go to our Patreon page at: http://www.patreon.com/thebodyofevidence/.
Patrons get a bonus show on Patreon called “Digressions”! Check it out!
1) Breast feeding rates according to the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/data/reportcard.htm
2) Historical trends in breastfeeding: https://academic.oup.com/jn/article/131/2/421S/4686960
3) Breastfeeding for pain control: https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/122/3/e716.long, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12511452/ and https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11927701/
4) Cochrane review on skin-to-skin care: https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD008435.pub3/full
5) Sucrose and warmth for analgesia: https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/135/3/e607
6) Formula vs. donor breast milk for preventing NEC: https://www.cochrane.org/CD002971/NEONATAL_formula-versus-donor-breast-milk-feeding-preterm-or-low-birth-weight-infants
7) WHO review on short- and long-term benefits of breastfeeding: https://apps.who.int/iris/handle/10665/95585
8) Systematic review on breastfeeding practices and infant mortality: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26249674/
9) Belarus study on obesity: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23483175/
10) Cochrane review on optimal duration of exclusive breastfeeding: https://www.cochrane.org/CD003517/PREG_optimal-duration-of-exclusive-breastfeeding
11) Jonathan’s article about placebos used in vaccine trials: https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/covid-19-health/placebos-used-vaccine-trials-do-not-please-everyone
12) Jonathan’s article about Sweden and the pandemic: https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/covid-19-health/which-sweden-do-you-want-believe
Amazing Plan by Kevin MacLeod
Harmony by DreamHeaven