Mar 6, 2022
What does the body of evidence say on the topic of asthma? Plus: how much time children spend in front of screens, and how to nudge people to go to the gym.
(3:15) Asthma: wheezing, similar diseases, how asthma is diagnosed
(10:53) Asthma: exercise-induced “asthma,” what is asthma, cold and thunderstorms as triggers, allergies, infections, treatments
(29:31) Screen time in children
(40:06) Nudging people to go to the gym
To leave a rating and/or review on iTunes (please do!!),
2) Click on “Listen on Apple Podcasts” toward the top, under “Health & Fitness”
3) It will prompt you to open iTunes. Allow the pop-up and switch to iTunes
4) In iTunes, click on “Rating and Reviews”
If you already listen on an Apple device, you should be able to leave a review by accessing the show on that device’s native podcasting app.
* Jingle by Joseph Hackl
* Theme music: “Fall of the Ocean Queen“ by Joseph Hackl.
* Assistant researcher: Nicholas Koziris
To contribute to The Body of Evidence, go to our Patreon page at: http://www.patreon.com/thebodyofevidence/.
To make a one-time donation to our show, you can now use PayPal! https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=9QZET78JZWCZE
Patrons get a bonus show on Patreon called “Digressions”! Check it out!
1) Episode 43 on allergies: https://bodyofevidence.ca/043-allergies-and-organic-food
2) The 2019 Global Initiative for Asthma report: https://ginasthma.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Whats-new-in-GINA-2021_final_V2.pdf
3) How will new recommendations from the GINA report affect practice in Canada: https://www.cmaj.ca/content/192/17/E456?ijkey=00df329033338403c174cbb90af80401afad6136&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha
4) GINA FAQ on asthma: https://ginasthma.org/about-us/faqs/
5) Trial on combined budenoside-formoterol as needed in mild asthma: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1715274
6) Systematic review and meta-analysis on screen time in children 5 years and younger: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapediatrics/article-abstract/2789091
7) American Academy of Paediatrics’ guidelines on screen time: https://www.healthychildren.org/English/family-life/Media/Pages/Where-We-Stand-TV-Viewing-Time.aspx
8) Canadian Paediatrics Society’s guidelines on screen time: https://caringforkids.cps.ca/handouts/behavior-and-development/screen-time-and-young-children
9) Megastudy on nudging people to go to the gym: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-04128-4
Lofi Chill Hip-Hop by WinnieTheMoog
Tutorial 2 by Frank Schröter
Ambient Relaxing Background by MusicLFiles
Over The Rainbow by Sascha Ende®