Oct 18, 2020
Jonathan and Chris interview Dr. Brennen McKenzie, an evidence-based veterinarian who runs the “SkeptVet” blog. They separate what we know, what we don’t know, and what we think we know when it comes to pet care and address the pseudosciences of the animal world.
2:24 Evidence-based veterinary medicine
4:49 Extrapolating from human clinical trials
7:31 Do vets change their mind?
10:07 Acupuncture, homeopathy and chiropractic in the animal world
14:34 Pets and vaccines
17:25 A very special guest appearance
18:00 How to talk to vaccine hesitant pet owners
20:45 The cost of veterinary care
27:52 Raw food diets
32:04 The word “zoopharmacognosy”
32:52 What should dogs and cats eat
37:57 What should dogs and cats NOT eat
40:28 CBD supplements
42:51 Declawing cats
44:17 Inside cat or outside cat
46:02 Supplements to change urine pH
46:40 Feline injection-site sarcomas
49:23 Cranberry supplements
50:35 New pet parents, take it all with a grain of salt
52:22 The shocking truth about pure breeds
* Theme music: “Fall of the Ocean Queen“ by Joseph Hackl.
To contribute to The Body of Evidence, go to our Patreon page at: http://www.patreon.com/thebodyofevidence/.
Patrons get a bonus show on Patreon called “Digressions”! Check it out!
1) Brennen’s website: https://skeptvet.com/Blog/
2) Brennen on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SkeptVet
3) Brennen on Twitter: https://twitter.com/SkeptVet
4) Brennen’s YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvb8ihBYdSXq_DML1Y6CfbQ
5) Brennen’s book, Placebos for Pets: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/51866692-placebos-for-pets