Oct 18, 2022
Jonathan and Chris speak to Nick Tiller, PhD, a physiologist interested in exercising and the marketing hype that often surrounds the topic. They discuss the few supplements that can improve your workouts, as well as the gadgets that probably won’t. Bookending their conversation is the important question: what is the best exercise?
2:35 Common misunderstandings around exercising
4:43 Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS)
11:28 Creatine supplements
14:50 Glucose supplements and sports drinks
18:31 Protein intake
21:08 Beta-alanine supplements
22:34 Kinesio tape, aka placebo tape
28:09 Placebos and sports performance
33:10 Cristiano Ronaldo’s brand deals
40:13 Methylene blue
43:22 Ultramarathons: are they good for you?
51:34 What is the best type of exercise?
* Theme music: “Fall of the Ocean Queen“ by Joseph Hackl.
To contribute to The Body of Evidence, go to our Patreon page at: http://www.patreon.com/thebodyofevidence/.
Patrons get a bonus show on Patreon called “Digressions”! Check it out!
1) Nick Tiller on Twitter: https://twitter.com/NBTiller
2) Nick Tiller’s website: https://www.nbtiller.com/
3) Nick Tiller’s Skeptical Inquirer columns: https://skepticalinquirer.org/category/the-skeptics-guide-to-sports-science/
4) Jonathan Jarry’s website, announcing his UK tour: https://www.jonathanjarry.com/